3 year service & warranty manual
This is an excerpt of the Warranty Policy from the 3 year 2-stroke Suzuki Marine Service and Warranty Manual. For full service and warranty details, please refer to the manual presented to you by your Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer.
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Suzuki outboard!
Suzuki Marine is truly unique and there is no other outboard brand like it in the world. With better acceleration, better fuel efficiency and better value, Suzuki brings you boating made better.
This manual has been presented to you by your Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer, who would have explained to you the operation of your new outboard and its safety features, plus the terms and conditions of its warranty.
This manual must be kept in a safe, dry place, and is your reference point for the service history of your outboard.
Please ensure that your manual is properly filled in when your outboard is serviced, as it will verify the outboard’s service history, thereby enhancing the value of your investment.
Should you resell your outboard, please supply your warranty booklet to the next owner as their record of service.
Genuine Suzuki Marine Parts and Accessories
Suzuki Marine strongly recommends you keep it real by using genuine Suzuki Marine parts and accessories, which are built to the highest standards of quality and performance and are designed to fit your outboard's exact specifications.
While non-genuine parts may be available in the marketplace, the use of these parts and accessories may affect the outboard's performance and shorten its useful life. Installation of non-genuine parts and accessories may void any separate warranty which you may be able to claim from Suzuki Motor Corporation, as well as void this warranty and any other warranty to which you may otherwise be entitled.
Any new 2013 or later Suzuki DT two stroke model DT9.9 to DT40 purchased and registered from the 1 September 2013 by an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer, for recreational usage in Australia, will be warranted against defects in the materials or workmanship for a period of three (3) years from the date of purchase from an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer in Australia, subject to the matters and exclusions noted on pages 11–18 of the Suzuki Warranty 2-stroke Manual.
NOTE: All such claims will only be initiated through the Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer carrying out the work.
Specific items are excluded from:
a) the third year of the recreational usage warranty the recreational usage warranty for DT9.9 to DT40; and
b) the second half of the 12-month commercial usage warranty (if applicable).
Suzuki standard equipment supplied with the outboard such as gauges, remote control boxes, fuel tank and fuel line, propeller, outboard wiring looms, outboard and side covers, paint, rubber components, i.e. cooling hoses, tubes and fittings (such as wire/clamps) will be warranted for one year only from the date of registration for both recreational and commercial usages.
Any new 2013 or later Suzuki DT two stroke model DT9.9 to DT40 outboard sold and registered by an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer from 1 September 2013, for commercial usage, such as for hire or any other income-generating activities or self-funded rescue/lifesaving operations, shall be covered by warranty against defective parts and/or workmanship for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of purchase from an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer in Australia. The second half of the 12-month warranty is subject to the matters and exclusions noted on pages 11–18 of the Suzuki Warranty 2-stroke Manual.
Components covered by warranty
- Recreational warranty: 36 months from the date of purchase
- Commercial warranty: 12 months from the date of purchase
The third year of the recreational usage warranty and the second half of the 12-month commercial usage warranty are limited to the following components:
Power head components:
- Crankcase components
- Reed valves
- Ignition Coil
- Magneto Assembly
- Piston and rings
- Crankcase oil seals
- CDI unit
- Fuel pump assembly (diaphragm type only)
Engine mid-section lower transmission
- Swivel bracket
- Steering bracket
- Clamp bracket
- Drive shaft housing
- Drive shaft
- Pinion gear set
Replacement components used for warranty rectification will be warranted for the balance of the applicable warranty period on the outboard.
Warranty limitations and exclusions
This warranty does not apply or extend to:
1. Any outboard motor which has been subjected to misuse, competition (including racing), negligence, alterations, accidents, fitting of non-authorised parts or accessories.
2. Any routine service work over and above the repair and replacement of defective parts.
3. An outboard that:
a) has not been operated in accordance with the instructions detailed in the Suzuki Owner's Manual; or
b) for which specified service checks are not carried out at the intervals listed on the Service Record pages of this manual or online lodgement by Authorised Suzuki Dealership
4. Normal service and regular maintenance procedures necessitated by normal usage, such as outboard tuning, fuel system adjustment, parts or repairs made necessary by normal usage, i.e. normal wearing parts like spark plugs, fuses, carbon brushes, fuel and oil filters, rubber parts
(except oil seals), bolts, nuts, pins and screws.
5. Expense of returning the outboard motor to an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer and the expense incurred in returning the outboard motor to you.
6. Removal of the motor from the boat and subsequent re-installation, mechanic’s travel time and in/out-of-water charges.
7. Growth of marine organisms on motor.
8. Use of fuels, lubricants and fuel/oil mixtures that are not in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and/or specifications.
9. Water entering the outboard via the fuel system, exhaust system or through submersion.
10. Operating the outboard at RPM other than specified, due to improper propeller selection or misuse.
11. Damage as a result of accidents, collisions or contact with foreign objects.
12. Normal wear and tear including deterioration.
13. Damage or failure as a result of corrosion caused by stray current, or outside galvanic activities, such as application of copper-based anti-fouling paint (moored boats).
14. Failure of any parts caused by lack of cooling water resulting from starting the outboard out of the water, or by foreign material blocking the water inlets, or by the outboard mounted too high on the boat’s transom, or by the outboard motor being installed in a location or position that prevents or interrupts with the required flow of water to the cooling system.
15. The installation of any devices altering the original design and operation of the engine will void warranty (e.g. heat exchanger etc.)
16. All of the initial installation, pre-delivery and service inspections must be completed by an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer. All servicing must be completed as scheduled in the Owner’s Manual and is at the Owner’s cost. If the service inspections are completed outside of the Authorised
Suzuki Marine Dealer network then the warranty terms will be reduced to a period of two (2) years.
17. Both the Dealer and the Owner must ensure that the Service Schedule as provided in this manual has been completed and submitted to The Haines Assurance Program. This includes and is not limited to the electronic lodgement by an Authorised Suzuki Dealership and a signed service
schedule in this manual.
18. Only genuine or pre-approved Suzuki parts, accessories, lubricants and fluids are to be used in any servicing or repair work. The use or installation of non-genuine or non-approved parts or accessories or fluids or lubricants will reduce the warranty terms to a period of two (2) years
from date of purchase.
19. If the engine ownership and/or benefit of the warranty is transferred within the first two (2) years for then the warranty terms will be reduced to a period of two (2) years from date of purchase.
1. The correct propeller must be installed to match the boat application so that the outboard can operate at correctly specified RPM.
2. During the outboard servicing, the propeller must be removed and inspected for damage to the blade area.
3. Propellers are subject to various underwater hazards, and thus, resulting damage from such hazards is your responsibility.
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER ANY INCIDENTAL AND/OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM CORROSION FAILURE.
This warranty is provided by The Haines Group Pty Ltd ATF The Haines Group Trust ABN 62 868 567 262 (“The Haines Group”, “we”, “us”, “our”).
Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
The benefits afforded under this warranty are in addition to all other rights and remedies which you have under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) and any other law of Australia in relation to any good or service provided by us.
General Warranty Conditions
We provide this warranty to cover defects in the manufacture or workmanship of all new Suzuki outboard motors (normal wear and tear of parts excluded). In the event that you become aware of any defects, you must immediately disclose the existence of the defects to an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer during the period of the warranty and provide sufficient information to the Dealer for them to verify the details of your purchase. Subject to the terms of this warranty policy, the Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer will then, at our option, either repair or replace the defective part or parts at no charge.
All warranty repairs during the warranty period must be carried out by an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer. You must, at your own expense, arrange the delivery and collection of the product.
We will not be liable for any consequential loss, damage, injury or expense arising out of any defect whatsoever in any Suzuki outboard or part thereof, or in connection with the fulfilment of any obligation under warranty.
Suzuki Motor Corporation reserves the right to change or improve the design of any outboard without assuming any obligations to notify of any change.
There are no Suzuki Dealers or other persons that are authorised or permitted to give or make any statement, assertion or undertaking in relation to the quality, performance, characteristics, descriptions or fitness for any purpose of any Suzuki product, or in connection with the supply of any Suzuki product that is at variance with any written statement, assertion, or undertaking on any of these subjects given or made by The Haines Group in its published sales literature, and we do not accept any liability for any such unauthorised statement/action.
We will not be liable for any other cost, expense or damage incurred by you while the outboard is out of service during the performance of any warranty, special policy or campaign adjustment work.
All warranty transactions must be completed within the warranty period.
Completion of warranty card
In order to the benefit from the complete Outboard Motor Warranty Period of any warranty offered by The Haines Assurance Program in this document, the yellow dealer’s copy of the Owner/s & Outboard Details Registration Form (“the Registration Form”) must be completed and submitted to The Haines Assurance Program electronically (by the dealer) immediately upon delivery of the outboard to you.
You and the dealer are responsible to ensure the Registration Form has been completed and submitted to The Haines Assurance Program.
If the Registration Form is not completed or is not submitted to The Haines Assurance Program within seven (7) days of purchase then, notwithstanding any Outboard Motor Warranty Period offered in relation to the particular warranty, that Warranty Period (to the extent that it is greater than twelve (12) months is automatically, and without notice, reduced to, and will expire on, twelve (12) months from the date of purchase/delivery.
Obtaining warranty coverage
A warranty claim can be made by delivering your defective outboard to your nearest Authorised Suzuki Dealership. Location of your nearest Authorised Suzuki Dealership can be found by visiting the following website address:
If you do not have internet access, please contact The Haines Assurance Program Service Department by telephone we will assist you to locate your nearest Authorised Suzuki Dealership:
AUSTRALIA: +61 (7) 3271 4400
The Dealership will carry out an inspection of the outboard before submitting an electronic warranty claim to us setting out the details of the claim.
The Dealership may require you to provide the following details before the electronic warranty claim is submitted:
- A detailed description of the issue and/or complaint giving rise to your warranty claim;
- Your name, address and contact phone number (include the best time to contact you during business hours AEST);
- The model & serial number of your outboard;
- Boat make & size;
- Propeller pitch (Size);
- Present hours of operation;
- Normal use and approximate gross load;
- Date of purchase of outboard;
- Oil usage & type if known;
- Your dealer’s name and location;
- Last date of service; and
- Plus any other details which you consider are relevant to your claim.
General Tips and Advice
Removing the outboard from the boat
Smaller model outboards can be removed from the boat for security, storage and service purposes. When the outboard is removed from the boat, it must be stowed in an upright position until all water from the cooling and water pump system has drained. This will reduce the possibility of water entering the cylinder through the exhaust ports or valves.
Always store the outboard in the upright position so that the power head is higher than the lower transmission.
Outboard security line attachment
On selected smaller model outboards, there is a security line attachment point on the transom clamp. It is recommended that a securing line (not included) be fixed to the boats transom and the clamp of the outboard to prevent the loss of the outboard should the outboard be detached from the boat’s transom for the following reasons:
- Boat transom structural failure.
- Failure to mount the outboard securely.
- Failure to periodically check the clamp screws for tightness.
- Striking an underwater obstacle at high speed.
CAUTION – ENSURE THAT THE SECURITY LINE IS OF ADEQUATE LENGTH
Ensuring that the security line is of adequate length is your sole responsibility. If the outboard was to dislodge from the transom of the boat, a security line that is not long enough to allow the outboard to submerge and stop running may cause the outboard to rebound back into the boat and possibly cause injury to the boat’s occupants.
What to do if your outboard is stolen
If your outboard motor has been stolen, your first point of contact should be the Police. Supply key information such as model type, outboard serial number and your contact details. You should then contact your local Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer. Once the information has been received, an alert will be sent to all Suzuki Marine dealers within Australia with A STOLEN OUTBOARD BULLETIN. This may aid in the recovery of your stolen outboard.
Servicing your outboard
Scheduled Maintenance and Service Policy
1. PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION SERVICE
The Pre-delivery Inspection is provided by an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer before you take delivery of your new Suzuki outboard to ensure that you enjoy safe and reliable operation of your new outboard.
2. PERIODIC SERVICE
To maintain the reliability and prolong the life of your new Suzuki outboard, periodic maintenance should be carried out by an Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer according to the periodic maintenance schedule described in the Owner’s Manual and at the Service Record pages here in.
3. DAILY INSPECTION AND DAILY CARE
Daily inspection and general care for your outboard is described in the applicable Suzuki Owner’s Manual for the model purchased. It is important to adhere to the points detailed in the manual as it will assist in prolonging the life of your outboard and for safe boating.
- Make sure you have enough fuel in the tank for your trip.
- Inspect the condition of the battery terminals.
- Check to see if the outboard is securely attached to the boat’s transom.
- Inspect the propeller for damage – it is advisable to carry a spare.
- Check outboard oil level.
- Ensure you have your emergency starter rope and safety lanyard onboard.
- Upon starting your outboard, ensure that the cooling system is operating and that you can see water coming from the telltale outlet.
- Always advise a friend and, where applicable, Coast Guard, Volunteer
- Marine Rescue or relevant authorities, of your planned route and approximate return time.
4. NON-SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE SERVICING
Outlined in your Owner’s Manual are the scheduled servicing requirements for your outboard. In some circumstances your outboard may operate in severe conditions where high-speed operation is required or the operating conditions are harsh.
Where these situations may occur, contact the Service Department of your Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer as they will be able to provide you with a service schedule to suit your outboard’s specific operating requirements.
5. GENERAL CLEANING AND CARE OF YOUR NEW SUZUKI OUTBOARD
a. After using your Suzuki outboard in salt water, it is important to flush the motor with fresh water. The procedure for flushing your outboard is detailed in the Suzuki Owner's Manual.
b. When washing your Suzuki outboard after use, use a mild soap wash or detergent with fresh water to remove all salt and grime from the outboard.
NOTE: AVOID WETTING UNDER THE OUTBOARD COVER
c. If the paint has been scratched or damaged during use, carefully touch up the affected area with genuine Suzuki paint available from your Authorised Suzuki Marine Dealer.
We recommend the use of Genuine Suzuki Marine Parts and Accessories.
Failure to adhere to the above-mentioned recommendation will void your outboard's warranty.
BOATING MADE BETTER
There is no other outboard brand like it in the world. Suzuki Marine is truly unique. You may think all outboards look the same, but once you get under the surface, you'll see why those in the know, choose Suzuki Marine. Our distinctive character is not what you see, it's what you feel better acceleration, better fuel efficiency and better value...